Thursday, November 12, 2009

Peel and HMS Shannon and the guns !


I distinctly remember my first association with 'mutiny' of 1857, it was on top of a naval canon in the grounds of The British Residency in Lucknow. My father took me there for a walk when I was quite young. It is one of my earliest memories, rather photograhic image from childhood. My father put me there on the canon like one would do a little kid on a pony. The fixation started from there. The gentleman on your screen is Sir William Peel. "He was born in the Mayfair district of London, the third son of Sir Robert Peel, Prime Minister of Great Britain 1834-1835 and 1841-1846, and entered the Royal Navy in 1838." He was already a VC when he came to Lucknow with his naval brigade from HMS Shannon. That canon there is from that ship. It was a magical canon and atop that canon I embarked upon this wonderful journey of 1857.
These guns were used in the so called 'second relief of Lucknow'.
(if there are any copyright issues regarding pics please do let me know and I will do the needful as desired by the person concerned)




1 comment:

  1. What is the confirmation of that cannon being from HMS Shannon?

    anshu737@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete